[OSM-dev] Straw man design for OSM postcode database creator

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sun Feb 3 09:11:46 GMT 2008

Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> As no one else has replied:

Thank you :-)

> I think this is a good idea, but if I am using random addresses from my
> address book, I'm not sure that I will be able to know if the road
> called "high street" that is shown to me on the slippy map is the "high
> street" for which I have a postcode.

Possibly not; but presumably they are people you know at least vaguely.
And you can use your intelligence; most towns, at least don't have more
than one street of any name. If you aren't sure, you can use some of the
hints you suggest (which the interface should give you) or you can just
pass on that one.

> The namefinder code can probably
> estimate automatically just as well as I can in many cases based on it's
> ~ search results "xxx found 100m away from yyy". If the distance is more
> than 5 miles, it's probably wrong. The other factor it could take into
> account is the neighbouring postcodes. If there are no other postcodes
> nearby with the same prefix, the confidence level in the result is low.

Very good idea. It should present "five closest postcodes" and their
distances.

> On the other hand, a user searching for a postcode on the home page is
> possibly more likely to know if the result is correct, because they will
> see (or fail to see) whatever it is they are looking for. Perhaps if the
> namefinder postcode system could return a level of confidence, and a
> yes/no button, we could get a lot of postcodes out of it.

I'm not sure I understand this. How would it work, in detail? If I just
search for a postcode, say N12 5BQ, and the postcode finder knows where
N12 5?? is but no better, and takes me there, and the person clicks Yes,
what has been gained?

Gerv