[OSM-dev] Questions on PostGIS

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Feb 6 13:35:57 GMT 2008

Hi,

> Basically I think it would be best to write a script that will
> generate
> REAL ways (polylines) in the postGIS database in a real geometric
> table.
> That way you will take optimized use of geometry functions.

I assume that this might use up a lot of space, and it might be
viable to store a bounding box with each way instead of a proper
polyline. This would lead to some "false positives" (if a way's
bounding box intersects with your query bounding box, this does not
always mean that the way does) but could save time and space.

Bye
Frederik