[OSM-dev] Polygons and Multipolygons

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Feb 8 11:50:22 GMT 2008

Hi,

> I found the way term 'Multipolygon' is used in OSM context is
> confusing.

True. What we had been looking for was a term for "polygons with
holes"; it seemed unreasonable to create a relation "type=polygon" as
plain polygons, without holes, don't require relations. But
multipolygon is somewhat of a misnomer.

> Shouldn't we be calling MultiPolygon  Polygon?

There are only 2788 in the database so it would not be too hard to
change. I wanted to automatically add the "inner" and "outer" flags
to the existing polygons anyway, although they're not strictly
required they would make processing easier for some.

Bye
Frederik