[OSM-dev] [Fwd: Re: [OSM-talk] Label inconsistency: right-to-left label is printed backward]

Artem Pavlenko artem.mapnik at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 10 19:44:28 GMT 2008

On 10 Feb 2008, at 13:48, J.D. Schmidt wrote:

> Artem, could you take a look ?
>

> -------- Original Meddelelse --------
> Moshe Sayag skrev:
>> When a place is labeled in Hebrew (which is written right-to-left) it
>> appears correctly in the T at H browser, but backward in OSM slippy map.
>> For example, see how the label of the city of Ashkelon is printed
>> in each
>> map:
>> Correct: http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Browse/?
>> x=4882&y=3335&z=13&layer=tile
>> Incorrect: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?
>> lat=32.634&lon=35.2967&zoom=12
>> How can this be fixed?

Yes. In the past Mapnik was using fribidi library to support right-to-
left languages, unfortunately we had to disable it  as it is not
thread safe.

>> Is this is a problem with the SVG renderer?
No.

> Not unless you want the T at H tiles to be written backwards too.
> T at H uses the svg rendering via Osmarender.
>
> The OSM slippy map default layer uses Mapnik. I'm sure Artem will be
> along shortly, with an explanation and a fix.

The quickest) way to solve this (plus shaping for arabic script)
would  be to install postarabic module:
http://dcmms.sourceforge.net/postarabic.php. I have a patch somewhere
to detect text that needs reversing.

JonB, could we look into this? Is it possible to get postgresql-devel
stuff on tile to compile this module?

> Dutch

Artem

Artem