[OSM-dev] disputed areas

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Mon Feb 11 17:08:08 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> There are many other places where our map is not accurate to te rules
> we decide,

Right. But when we fix those places, there's no-one who's going to come
along and un-fix them.

> I think we should keep the issue in mind during further API design
> work, and try to build mechanisms that help us cope with situations
> like these, but I don't see the urgency either.

That seems reasonable.

> If the people of Cyprus haven't managed to produce good mapping
> because of unsetteled political issues, then that's the reality and
> why should that reality not be visible in our maps...?

The reality of the map should be the reality of what it says on the
ground. This is our rule, and it's a good one. The problem is not the
"unsettled political issues", it's that some OSM participants don't want
to abide by the rule. I think it's pretty clear what the correct result
should be, according to the rule, in the Cyprus case. It's even
documented on the Cyprus wiki page.

It's analogous to some Wikipedia participants not wanting to abide by
NPOV. Not that I think there's such a thing as NPOV, but I accept that
it's their wiki, and they can set what rules they want. Same with OSM.

Gerv