[OSM-dev] osmosis bz2 performance

Stefan Baebler stefan.baebler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 18:43:21 GMT 2008

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>>> Yep, ideally this should be done for all tasks with a file argument.
>> It still won't be possible to use 2 input streams (eg planet.osm +
>> planet.osc) on stdin, but at least one (probably bigger source) as it
>> was now with /dev/stdin. Named pipes could solve that, but AFAIK they
>> are not supported in Java. Sockets could work, but are not as
>> convenient for scripting.
>
> Actually, named pipes would work, since osmosis doesn't seek. Something like:
>
> mkfifo /tmp/buffer
> bzcat x.bz2 >/tmp/buffer &
> osmosis .... --read /tmp/buffer
> rm /tmp/buffer
>
> Should do fine.
interesting, tnx!
This could be a workaround for the newly introduced aliases.

I've added the "-" alias to the other xml file reading and writing tasks:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/6844
Now it is possible to do
wget -O - http://... |  bzcat -c | osmosis --rx - --bb ... --wx - |
bzip2 > excerpt.osm.bz2
which performs considerably better than Apache's bzip implementation in
Java, which is built into osmosis.

Enjoy,
Stefan