[OSM-dev] EUR 15K grant for software development

Martijn van Exel mvexel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 21:16:43 GMT 2008

Hi all,

Back in November '07 I raised the issue of most pressing software
development issues [1]. The objective was to give body to a proposal
we were preparing for NLNet [2], which would include a grant for
software development.

The resulting discussion on talk / dev and discussion within the Dutch
chapter led to a proposal submitted on Dec. 1st. The proposal is in
Dutch and encompasses much more than the software development. It is
available here [3]. Last month NLNet granted our request for funding
-- at least, the software development part. So now we have EUR15k to
spend on various development projects! Great, huh?

This is how we think we should proceed:
1. I'll set a page up on the Wiki up to enable us to finetune the
projects we're going to be supporting (asap). Starting point will be
the central issues outlined in the proposal:
		a. Monitoring and Rollback
		b. Mobile Editor
		c. 'Map annotation for the rest of us'
2. We'll have a review period to finalize the project definitions.
This can't last too long, NLNet wants to see progress. Two weeks max.
3. After the review, I submit the definitive project plans to NLNet
for approval.
4. On approval, anyone (individual or group) would be able bid on the
projects.
After that, we agree on who's doing what and we can start
implementation.

NLNet will require close monitoring, a transparent process, definition
of milestones and progress reports throughout the year.
This will be an excellent opportunity to catalyse some of the OSM
development projects, don't you agree?

Let's hear your thoughts on this, I'll let you know when the wiki is
done.

On behalf of the Dutch chapter,
Take care,
Martijn