[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 00:36:26 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I just have finished a converter of OSM xml format to GML and I
*BOLDLY*suggest to constrain the allowed characters of tags (=
key-names) to the
following XML related set:
'aAbBcCdDeEfFgGhHiIjJkKlLmMnNoOpPqQrRsStTuUvVwWxXyYzZ_' in order to retain
reusability.

After having looked at more than 100 MB of data we found in key names
characters like space, slashes, colons and even more weird ones. I don't
think this will take too much of users freedom of choice...

What do you think to agree on such a character list and subsequenctly to
build this into editors like JOSM on order to get clean key names from the
beginning?

-- Stefan