[OSM-dev] UTF-8 errors in our DB, or elsewhere?

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Feb 12 03:38:44 GMT 2008

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:11:05AM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> And about the UTF-8 bugs in the database: are they real? For example:
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/way/8138279
>>
>> doesn't seem proper UTF-8 to me but maybe I'm wrong.
>>

> It is. You're wrong.
>
> (You can find out if something is UTF-8 by running it through xmllint;
> it will complain if there are character encoding issues.)
>
> Regards,

If osmosis didn't screw up I'm happy, I get a cold sweat every time I
see hear the term "utf-8" mentioned on the mailing list :-)

Presumably '�' (looks like a white question mark inside a black
triangle) isn't the intended character though, I wonder how it got in
there ... unless I'm missing a required characterset for display on my
end ...