[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 14:43:49 GMT 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 1:27 PM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer o XML, Dave.
>
> UTF-8 is a good choice for content, but this is about *keys* (i.e.
> attributes).
> Keys correspond to XML elements which are defind as names [1](!)
> ... which nicely fits the definition I proposed.

Well, my point was that your proposal was a very small subset of what
XML allows for a Name, so no, it really doesn't nicely fit.
Just to clarify that, XML allows pretty much anything except
whitespace and most punctuation to be part of a Name. This includes
just about any UTF-8 character you wish to bring up. There are lots of
other rules and limitations of course, but that's what the grammar on
that page is there to describe, so I won't try to summarise it further
here.

There's nothing special about an OSM key. It's the same as an OSM
value contents-wise and should really be treated as such by any
application processing it. This actually makes a lot of programming
easier, not harder.