[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Feb 13 11:03:20 GMT 2008

On 13 Feb 2008, at 08:47, Stefan Keller wrote:

> > So to recap: The current allowable characters in OSM tag names is
> UTF8 -
> > Deal with it, instead of trying to impose limitations into OSM to
> make
> > OSM data comply with YOUR requirements.
>
> It's not 'my' requirement, it's about "best practices". The use
> cases are e.g.:
> * UMN MapServer (which is at least as capable as all known OSM
> renderers)

We don't like mapserver, see mapnik.

> * Almost any other XML format/XML Schema

We don't like schemas, see keyvals

> * Any other database, any GIS

We don't like GIS, see potlatch/josm

OSM is and was a break with the past. Mapserver map files, GML, WFS-T,
strong ontologies and friends.. these top-down 'best practices' in
general just aren't very nice. We do the best/simplest things to make
maps. Joe User doesn't care about any of those things. Joe User wants
to make maps. It turns out that we've been able to do everything we
need with simple nodes, ways and tags.

have fun,