[OSM-dev] Slippy map and zoom

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Feb 14 11:07:38 GMT 2008

When I use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out of the slippy map,
whether on www.openstreetmap.org, maps.yahoo.com, or
maps.google.com, the screen goes blank for a short while before
the tiles of the new zoom level arrive.  At Google Maps, some red
corners move about showing whether I'm zooming in or out.

Would it be possible, in JavaScript, to show the existing tiles,
rescaled by the browser, until the new tiles arrive?

If this was possible, I guess the browser could also emulate finer
grades (half-levels) of zooming.  It would make for a less bumpy
user experience.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)