[OSM-dev] Restrict key names on order to retain reusability of OSM

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 15:10:41 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Gabriel Ebner <ge at gabrielebner.at> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:53:43PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>  > VALUES ( 3029222, 'LINESTRING(....)', 'key=>value, key=>value, ...' );
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  I'm all for completely redoing the data model every once in a while but I'd
>  suggest that you prepare a complete proposal in that case, including answers
>  to the skeptics who'd like to ask 'How does that work with junctions?'

Umm, sorry. I'm not talking about the main DB, I'm talking about what
users might want. Map generators like mpanik don't care bout junctions
so the above model doesn't include them. If you want to store them
too, add an ARRAY OF INTEGER in addition or instead of the geometry.
They're as easily indexable as the attributes or geometries. In that
case you could store a BBOX instead of the actual linestring.

My point was: the fact the we don't restrict key values doesn't make
it hard on users and hard for databases to deal with. Databases are
good at what they do, so let them do it...

Have a nice day,