[OSM-dev] Data checks?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Feb 17 02:22:16 GMT 2008

Hi,

> What has already been done on data checks, and is anyone else
> working on it? What would be some good ideas to start with, and
> goals to work toward?

I'm currently working on efficiently tiling the planet file into
mkgmap compatible squares (square as in "x by x degrees").

The C program I have written makes the assumption that, if the planet
is split into 2.5 degree squares, no way covers more than four of them
(a very short way could easily cover four, think a roundabout sitting
exactly on a corner). A way covering 5 or more tiles would have to be
at least 150 miles long at the equator, and still quite long in
Northern Europe.

As always with these assumptions,there were a number of ways longer
than expected:

way 7705518:
    <tag k="route" v="ferry"/>
    <tag k="name" v="Rotterdam-Torshavn"/>
way 7920232:
    <tag k="waterway" v="river"/>
    <tag k="name" v="Indus"/>
way 8080709:
    <tag k="waterway" v="river"/>
way 10853979:
    <tag k="name" v="Border Chile - Argentina"/>
way 10853998:
    <tag k="name" v="Border Chile - Argentina"/>
way 10853998:
    <tag k="name" v="Border Chile - Argentina"/>
way 10854257:
    <tag k="name" v="Border Argentina - Brasil"/>
way 10854551:
    <tag k="name" v="Border Colombia - Brasil"/>
way 10992919:
    <tag k="waterway" v="river"/>
way 10992919:
    <tag k="waterway" v="river"/>
way 11010878:
    <tag k="natural" v="coastline"/>
way 12190484:
    <tag k="natural" v="coastline"/>
way 12190484:
    <tag k="natural" v="coastline"/>
way 13865959:
    <tag k="route" v="ferry "/>
    <tag k="name" v="Newcastle-IJmuiden"/>
way 13892853:
    <tag k="highway" v="trunk"/>
way 14651558:
    <tag k="name:en" v="Baikal"/>
    <tag k="natural" v="water"/>
way 15511105:
    <tag k="highway" v="trunk"/>
    <tag k="name" v="Ð-5"/>
    <tag k="ref" v="M5"/>
way 15511105:
    <tag k="highway" v="trunk"/>
    <tag k="ref" v="M5"/>
way 15808131:
    <tag k="boundary" v="administrative"/>
way 15808214:
    <tag k="boundary" v="administrative"/>
way 15808214:
    <tag k="boundary" v="administrative"/>

It would be great if we could build a kind of "ticket system" for OSM
objects. I believe Martijn has been working on a system whereby users
can flag certain things on a map. Assuming that there will be a
corresponding backend that collects these "tickets" and a good
interface to work with them (show me all problems in my area, show me
all problems of type "x", download selected problem objects for
fixing in JOSM, whatever), then we could simply drop things like the
above output into that system and hope someone cares ;-)

Bye
Frederik