[OSM-dev] disputed areas

Wed Feb 20 08:07:05 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> My suggestion is to encourage those guy to host their own localized maps.
>> - Drop the name rendering for this region on all the OSM-hosted maps ?
>> - Only render localized names for this region to lower the importance of
>> the "name" tag ?
>
> If an immediate response is desired, my choice would be to just drop
> rendering of Cyprus *altogheter* on our maps. That could be done with
> relative ease as we'd only have to stop serving the tiles in question,
> which might even be done through apache config rules (bit scary for
> the Z18 stuff perhaps, haven't done the numbers).

In that case, I'd rather just prefer Gervase's solution of forbidding a
plain name= tag in this bounding box and only allow name:gr name:tr or
whatever. This way the standard slippy map will not show any names
whatsoever and people can still host their own localized maps using
whatever naming scheme they want.

Sebastian