[OSM-dev] planet info

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Thu Feb 28 22:47:41 GMT 2008

David Earl wrote:
> How feasible would it be to put a set of attributes either on the top
> level element or an element created for the purpose which tells me how
> many nodes, ways and relations there are in the file. If you have the
> counts to hand at the beginning, great, but if not if you wrote '...
> nodecount="000000000000" waycount="000000000000"
> relationcount="000000000000"' at the beginning, and then when you've
> output the elements and counted them up as you do it, at the end seek
> back and replace the zeros with the counts.
>
> This would enable me and others to do progress reporting on making a
> pass through the file. (I can't do it by file size and read position
> because the filesize function won't go bigger than 2Gb in PHP, and I
> can't count the elements before I start without completely decompressing
> the file first, which I no longer have enough free disk to do).
>
> David

There is the planet statistics script that I wrote a while back (in
python) that I need to get around to popping into SVN, it doesn't count
nodes or relations currently, only ways, but it wouldn't be hard to add
(plus it would give it something to do since 92.5% of the objects in the
dump are nodes and it currently scans over them silently). It could be
modified to sit in between the output of the planet script and gzip and
calculate as the file is being compressed (the script uses a stream
consuming parser to read stdin, in my uses piping from bzcat currently,
and could pass the stream back out stdout unmodified)

 Jason Reid
 Web Technical Administrator
 Faculty of Social Sciences

 Social Sciences 515