[OSM-dev] DXF to OSM - was [OSM-newbies] uploading prepared data

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 29 09:32:25 GMT 2008

Jason Reid wrote:
>Sent: 29 February 2008 4:51 AM
>To: newbies at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-newbies] uploading prepared data
>
>Andrew Harris wrote:
>> I am wondering how to upload substantial chunks of prepared data.
>>
>> I work for a university and hope to get access to the building
>> outlines and data from our centrally managed buildings database. What
>> is my best way of loading this data into OSM? - Do I convert it to
>> gpx, open it in josm and upload? Is it that simple?
>>
>> Andrew Harris
>> 37.7638°S 144.9411°E

>Depending on the format, the best option would be to convert it to our
>XML schema (generally fairly easy if its shapefiles or gml as theres
>been tools written for other imports) then upload that.

On a related matter (hence posted to dev) I know I have some CAD files that
have data in them that I could use in OSM. The CAD data won’t mesh with the
nodes and ways format of OSM but it wouldn’t be too difficult to extract
just layers from the CAD that would be a reasonable match. Are there any
tools for converting say dxf to get data into OSM?

Cheers

Andy