[OSM-dev] Automatic Spell check service

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 2 20:28:49 GMT 2008

Hi,

> A spell checker doesn't need to run on an online database. My question
> was if it was acceptable to run *such* a service, or that people have
> objections to a system that automatically fix typo's.

My personal feeling would be let's put this off until we have a proper
"change log" mechanism with a "subscription"-like support so that
anyone, if they so desire, can say "alert me to all changes made to
stuff that I entered". If people would then see a message in their
feed saying "your way so-and-so has been changed by the automatic
spellchecker" then they at least have a chance to react.

And of course reaction must be possible, i.e. there must be a way to
enter a tag "hgihway=secondary" without your spellchecker intervening
again, and again, and again... the spellchecker would either have to
refrain from chaning anything that it has changed in the past and that
was reverted, or there must be some kind of extra tag
"spellcheck_ignore=key,key,key" or so.

Bye
Frederik