[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 22:31:33 GMT 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 11:18 PM, Artem Pavlenko <artem.mapnik at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently, while porting osm2pgsql to win32 platform (native compiler
> vc_80)  I came across constructs like:

Whoops, that's an odd mixture of C99 and GCC.

> I believe the above is an *obsolete* syntax from ancient GCC ( <
> 3 ?? ), but maybe I'm missing something. C99 supports .name  notation
> for struct members initialization but  latest MS compiler doesn't
> care about C99 (what a surprise:)
>
> Should we be striving to make osm2pgsql source platform independent
> in main OSM svn?

Well, C99 *is* platform independant but honestly I'm shocked (but not
surprised) that MS would ship a compiler not supporting this. I wrote
that bit assuming everyone supported it by now and it is a lot clearer
and more robust than the alternative.

I suppose we need to decide on which version of C we should strive
for. Cutting back to just ANSI is going to be quite annoying, thats
20+ years ago.

Have a nice day,