[OSM-dev] SRTM relief

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 08:53:03 GMT 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 11:50 PM, Nick Whitelegg <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:

> Hello Andy,
>
> There is the srtm2shp utility available in SVN which outputs a shapefile of
> contours, it outputs in Mercator - is that any good? It doesn't deal with
> SRTM voids yet.

I had seen that when you posted about it recently. I haven't tried it
out yet, but I have more confidence in the usefulness of your scripts
than of mine, but I couldn't get the older version of your scripts to
work for me.

One of the things I haven't worked out yet is how to render
planet-wide contours in an efficient manner, since the shapefiles
mulitply either in size or number to rather large amounts (for 10m
contours especially) as I start including europe, never mind in the
US. I found there were more than 4GB of contours for the UK, which
made it impossible to combine the results for each SRTM->shp
conversion into one large shp file.

Cheers,
Andy