[OSM-dev] [Mapnik-devel] curves

Artem Pavlenko artem.mapnik at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:23:45 GMT 2008

On 3 Jan 2008, at 16:02, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> (to: trimmed)
>
> Artem Pavlenko wrote:
>
>> Yes, indeed, storing contours as bezier curves would make more
>> compact files.
>> But in what format? I guess we can create our own format (easy) or
>> extent SFS (abstract spec mentions curves but there's no open source
>> implementation I aware of)
>
> The data requirements are so elementary I'd suggest just a CSV or
> similar - let's kill those dependencies. ;)
>
> - either "start new contour at height n" or "join to previous point"
> - anchor point (x,y)
> - control points (x1,y1 for quadratic, x1,y1,x2,y2 for cubic)

I was thinking about something beyond just contours but yes, for
contours the above should work.
Maybe replace CSV with binary plus spatial index.

/more
Still, ideally would be nice to have (at least bezier) curves for any
geometry, similar to svg
I don't like leaving it to software to have a guess based on angle or
feature type.. If someone is mapping his local area he knows better
what geometry representation is more appropriate.

Artem