[OSM-dev] Clickable POIs - use marker/pushpin layer?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 08:14:27 GMT 2008

Hopefully (day job permitting!) I will get the time to implement clickable
POIs on the OSM site in the coming weeks, along with integrating a simple
editing facility like Chris's. Before I get too far with this do people
think it would be better to generate a layer of markers/pushpins for the
POIs or have the user click on the map directly?

The way I see it:

Markers/pushpins - more user friendly but greater server load as the
server would need to find all POIs within the current area every time the
user scrolls the map (caching could be used but still more server load)

Clicking on the map directly - less server load but less user friendly,
e.g. how can a user tell where the centre of a village is?

Thanks,
Nick