[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Osmosis and large bounding polygons

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed Jan 9 07:29:20 GMT 2008

Nice work on the script!

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> A better way to do this would be using the algorithms I nicked from
> GPSBabel and implemented in the "simplify way" code for JOSM but I'm
> not in a mood to perlify them atm.

Would it be simpler to add the polygon simplification into the polygon
loader in osmosis itself?  Already being java it might be simpler than
rewriting in perl.  There is a single class named PolygonFileReader
which parses a polygon file into a java.awt.geom.Area instance.  It has
a method named loadSectionPolygon which reads a single polygon from the
file and converts into an Area class which is subsequently added to or
subtracted from the result Area.  Presumably this loadSectionPolygon
method could be modified to call a "simplification" method that accepts
a complex set of coordinates and returns a simplified set of coordinates.

Would this be hard to do?

I'm not volunteering to do it just yet but if it sounds straightforward
I can add it to the future features list ...

Brett