[OSM-dev] [Mapnik-devel] reliefs madness

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Jan 9 12:59:19 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 12:44:51PM +0000, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
>> I think areas below sea level should just get the darkest green. In most
>> cases it is probably not necessary to distinguish the details.
>>

> OK, below sea level is now corrected :
> http://artem.dev.openstreetmap.org/files/reliefs/water.jpg
> but there are still lots of water around. I guess this represents reality.

But the water is not real. Look at the Google aerial images for that
area and you'll see. Well, there is a lot of water in Holland, no
question about that. But your relief gives the wrong impression, because
it looks like some kind of marsh land or so while in reality it is
mostly dry with some canals in between.

Maybe ignoring all water pixels if they have less than n sorrounding
pixels with water or something like it.

But it does look mmuch better now. Definitely good enough to be "usable".

Jochen