[OSM-dev] OSM Database Infrastructure

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Jan 15 00:57:17 GMT 2008

In message <478B8F9A.2020205 at xs4all.nl>
          Stefan de Konink <skinkie at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> SteveC schreef:
>
> > I think the single-server still works very well. It does so by
> > ignoring doctrine on postgis and gis extensions and a bunch of scary C
> > extensions thought up by Nick Hill and implemented by TomH. jburgess
> > is doing similarly scary things with apache modules for shipping out
> > tiles.
>
> I asked this before, but I would like to do some benchmark on another
> single database server implementation. Could any of you provide the slow
> queries currently in MySQL, the top (10?) queries mostly done, and
> provide some figures how long they take?

I doubt there are any queries which are especially popular - it will
be unusual to get a large number of queries for the same bounding box.

How are you defining "slow" in this context anyway? For most of the
significant queries speed is proportional to the area you are asking
for anyway.

If you are only interested in the general form of the queries then
they can all be found in subversion - the rails ones are reasonably
easy to construct from the parameters to the find() method calls. Most
of the worst ones are in Potlatch anyway and those are in the code as
straight SQL queries.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)