[OSM-dev] Namefinder - what to do

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Jan 23 10:46:55 GMT 2008

On 23/01/2008, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:

> Tom Hughes wrote:
>
> | I looked at it when David first implemented it, but I decided it
> | wasn't reliable enough to go on the main site I think.
>
> I think it would be better if the site said "I'm not sure about this,
> but the postcode /might/ be this street" and make a complete guess even
> if that is completely wrong, rather than return no result. If the end
> user could be asked "Is this the right location Yes / No?" and we
> collect that information, that would be even better. If 2 or 3 people
> say yes to a postcode, we could add it to the database. If someone says
> no, we could log it as somewhere that needs to be found and surveyed.

I'm sure when I looked before there was some more fundamental problem
than that with it - it was doing something odd when it couldn't find a
match I think.

I tried it again last night though, and it seems to be OK now, so I
have added it to the list of sources we search when given a UK
postcode.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)