[OSM-dev] How to get mapnik generate a map with roads and stuff

John Wheeler johnny.wheeler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:08:16 GMT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to create my own tileserver to learn the tasks involved setting
up a slippy map. So I managed to get osm2pgsl compiled and filled the
postgresql gis database. Then I succeeded in getting mapnik generate some
tiles for me! So far, so good. However, I used planet-latest.osm.bz2 and
world_boundaries.tar.bz2, but the tiles generated and showing up in my
browser show no roads and no cities at all. To generate the map I used the
steps on the wiki.

$ source ./set-mapnik-env
$ ./customize-mapnik-map >$MAPNIK_MAP_FILE
$ ./generate_tiles.py

Can anyone point me the way how to fix this?

John