[OSM-dev] [Merkaartor] elevation in nodes

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 11:08:40 BST 2008

2008/7/2 Chris Browet <cbro at semperpax.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Merkaartor will soon have a function to transform GPS tracks to OSM roads
> automatically.
> As the data comes from the GPS, I could add the elevation to every nodes of
> the roads that will be created.
>
> This to know your feeling about this.
> Do you think it's a good idea to have the elevation specified in potentially
> all nodes?

I think it's a really bad idea. The data from GPSes will be at best as
good as the SRTM data, and those who need height data would be better
off generating it from SRTM rather than from GPX tracks.

If someone wanted to enhance SRTM height data with GPX height data
then we should store the height data with the GPX imports (I don't
have a problem with that) but I don't want to see random, crappy
height data all over the planet file.

Cheers,
Andy