[OSM-dev] Help with printing

Jeffrey James jefjames at umd.edu
Wed Jul 2 23:39:32 BST 2008

Hello,

I am helping out with a University campus navigation system built on top
of OSM ( http://seamster.cs.umd.edu:8090/map/index.html ) and we are
having some trouble printing from the browser.  What ends up happening
is that the top layer (what is superimposed on the OSM map) gets
printed, but not the actual OSM map.  Actually, the behavior varies from
browser to browser (it prints all of the top layer in Firefox 2, but
Firefox 3 prints part of the top layer and part of the background
layer).  The print preview is inconsistent in what it shows.

I noticed that on OSM's main map (not ours), when I try to print, it
does print, but the printout is shifted slightly up and to the right of
the focus of the map as seen in the browser.  This is probably because
of shrink to page issues, but I do notice that the print preview
sometimes fizzles out.

Any ideas on where to begin to work on this and/or how the actual OSM
map handles it?

Ideally the solution would be to get it to print in-browser, but maybe
some other kind of solution (like using something additional like
osmosis or something) is necessary?

Thanks much for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey James