[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] When mental models go wrong: OpenStreetMap

m*sh hy at sha-mash.de
Fri Jul 4 07:20:21 BST 2008

Lauri Hahne wrote:
> [...]
>
> 1. Ways
>
> - There are one kind of ways in the database. Ways can have attributes
> (tags) but aren't required.
> - The tagging scheme suggest there are many kinds of ways (highway,
> cycleway, aeroway...)
> - Potlatch and JOSM's preset (and mappaint?) system allow you to pick
> a type for way.
> - We have questions such as "how can I turn this way into a bridge" or
> "how can I create a "bridge-way" at #osm once in a while.

[...]

Ways are IMHO somewhat mis-designed; at that point I agree with you.
i must admit that I have not too much of a deep insight into some parts
of the data model - due to being involved since just 4 weeks now.

Moreover, IMHO ways are completely obsolete. Every kind of attribute you
need can be represented within a node. And it can be represented
_easier_ by just attributing the nodes.
Think of the third world, where roads are often not covered with tarmac
- - the surface changes every now and then. With OSM you have to split it
up in several ways, each attributed accordingly.

All you would need is an item or *tag* k='connect' v='<node_id>'
So you could connect nodes to a way, and you could easily turn two nodes
within a road into a bridge if it has not been set appropriately before.

Any renderer has to use the nodes anyway to make up a "way" so it has to
look at the nodes - WHY look at and interpret the ways additionally?

Admittedly any software would need a fix on that. But the major part
(dropping the ways and setting the connections) should be a matter of a
simple script.

Just my 2 cents on your thoughts

- --

- -m*sh-