[OSM-dev] Approx size of a full planet.osm MySQL database?

Alexander Holy alex at alexholy.net
Mon Jul 7 15:56:16 BST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to fully import planet.osm into a MySQL database.

Can anyone someone give me order of magnitude numbers:

Free Diskspace needed (my estimate is 500GB, ~250GB MyISAM + ~250GB InnoDB)

I'd also be happy to learn about approx runtime (hours, days, weeks?) - my rough guesstimate is around 48h on the old Pentium 4/3Ghz machine, but I might be completely wrong...

I have no problems importing smaller country files with osmosis, I just like to have an idea how big this is going to be.

I'm also struggling a bit with the Windows version of MySQL. It seems the DATA DIRECTORY= and INDEX DIRECTORY= options are not implemented in the Windows version of MySQL 5.0 and 5.1, making data placement somewhat unnatural.

Alexander