[OSM-dev] Area support (was: 0.6 API Status)

"Marc Schütz" schuetzm at gmx.net
Wed Jul 9 12:49:41 BST 2008

> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 13:34 +0200, "Marc Schütz" wrote:
>
> > Are areas-with-holes really necessary (as primitives)? After all, we
> don't have multi-ways or ways-with-gaps either...
> >
> > Regards, Marc
> >

> yes, those are required to model things like buildings with internal
> courtyards and the like

No, we could continue to use multipolygon relations for that.

I just wanted to point out that our existing primitives are "simple" ones: no compound objects, no holes, only one single coherent object. The new area primitive would be different from that (which of course is not necessarily an argument against it).

Regards, Marc