[OSM-dev] Java component for displaying OSM Maps

Jan Peter Stotz jpstotz at gmx.de
Wed Jul 9 14:21:25 BST 2008

Hi developers,

may be I have re-invented the wheel, but during the last days I wrote a
Java GUI component that can be used for displaying OSM maps (using map
tiles) and navigating/zooming through it - similar to well known
HTML/Ajax interface on openstreetmap.org. Map tiles are cached
internally in memory. Additionally map markers can be added for
displaying custom POIs or sth. else.

My target was to create a component that is independent of the
application and therefore can be used in any Java program.

Does anybody knows of a comparable or better component or is it worth
putting additional work in it, making it an universal OSM visualization
component?

Simple sample app using the component (executable Jar & source):
http://private.sit.fraunhofer.de/~stotz/OSMMap.jar

Jan