[OSM-dev] Installing the Rails port.

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 16:21:42 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 15:50 +0100, Steve Hill wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
>
> > If you are planning to serve up a custom map then you need to render
> your
> > own tiles, and for that you will probably want a database backend
> unless you
> > plan to deliver only a very small area of the world.
>
> I'm already rendering Mapnik tiles for the OpenPisteMap website (so I
> have the PostGIS database already).  However, the OSM site has some
> nice
> features like the map exporter that I wouldn't mind adding so I was
> trying to guage what I needed to do.
>
> >From what I understand from the wiki, the main OSM data set is in
> MySQL,
> but I wasn't quite able to work out if I actually needed the MySQL DB
> for
> the Ruby on Rails website to work, or if I could do without it.

If you want to run the rails code with no modification then you probably
need a database to keep rails happy but it does not need to have any
data in it.

The code which provides the exported Mapnik images in the CGI script at:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/tile.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/export
If you've got a Mapnik rendering setup already then this should be
simple to add, it just needs to be called like:

/cgi-bin/export?bbox=#{bbox}&scale=#{scale}&format=#{format}

	Jon