[OSM-dev] "Map Features" in XML?

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:43:15 BST 2008

David Earl wrote:
>Sent: 22 July 2008 11:59 AM
>To: Richard Fairhurst
>Cc: dev at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] "Map Features" in XML?
>
>On 22/07/2008 11:48, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>> Chris Browet wrote:
>>
>>> If you also believe that WIKI->XML is easier /more maintainable than
>>> XML->WIKI...
>>>
>>> I strongly believe this is nonsense, though...
>>
>> Certainly more editable. More people have, and know how to use, a wiki
>> editor (i.e. a web browser) than an XML editor. And "optimise for ease
>> of editing" is a good general OSM principle.
>
>There are numerous XML editors out there, including JAVA ones, so it
>would presumably not be too difficult to make an applet to edit the
>source in a user friendly way.
>
>Actually, writing a custom online Map Features editor would be pretty easy.

I think I'd take a long hard look at a tool that took all the tags from the
db are presented them to me in a logical way, with explanations for each one
being editable in a wiki manner. ie moving away from the MapFeatures page,
it is rather outdated and unwieldy now. I'd personally be happy if it was
even something that was not browser based, but would that raise the barrier
for entry at the newbie end even higher?

Cheers

Andy