[OSM-dev] Osmosis woes, something not right - can someone pls. see why?

Fire Girl firegirl at amorous.com
Fri Jul 25 09:51:34 BST 2008

Hey, that is great -- and Cheers!

When you get back, it would be interesting to find out, what kinda of
results you get from a two stage extraction, using the same commands,

java.exe -jar osmosis.jar" --rx "planet-latest.osm.bz2"
enableDateParsing="YES" --lp interval="600" --bb left="-108" right="-36"
top="90" bottom="0" --wx "segment_earth.osm"

and then,

java.exe -jar osmosis.jar" --rx "segment_earth.osm"
enableDateParsing="YES" --lp interval="600" --bb left="-75" right="-73"
top="42" bottom="40" --wx "new_york_area.osm"
^^^ this is what is yielding a 27 MB file from the 2.5 GB
segment_earth.osm slice, when according to my test doing this above same
command & parameters against a planet.osm yielded almost a 1.3 GB file :|

I mean, it is pretty clear I got a very slimmed down segment_earth.osm
extraction.... left="-108" right="-36" top="90" bottom="0", is a pretty
big cross-section which yielded 2.5 GB.  Which is totally confusing since
I got 1.3 GB from left="-75" right="-73" top="42" bottom="40", ... a tiny
2 degree cross segment!  This is driving me nuts! haha

BTW, can you perform this test on a Windows Machine like I am? :))