[OSM-dev] Should I limit size of GPX files?

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 20:36:09 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Igor Brejc <igor.brejc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shaun McDonald wrote:
> > So by that assessment, I'm uploading too many points with my cycling,
> > which tends to average around 5 to 12 mph over the whole journey
> > including getting lost, u-turn, looking at the map, breaks, food, and
> > finding no named roads.
> >
> > Your best bet is to compress the file before uploading. The server will
> > then automatically deal with the compression before importing the files.
> >
> > Shaun
> >

> Does anybody know of any good GPS post-processing tools? They would
> eliminate a lot of unneeded stuff before uploading the GPX. I know
> gpsbabel has some filters for this, but they are very basic.
>
> Igor

You could look at Viking (http://sourceforge.net/projects/viking/) Not an
automated tool, but does GPX editing and supports OSM tiles as background
(among others). The gpsbabel area filters don't work on tracks, so (for
example) you can't create an exclusion zone around your home or work
location to maintain your privacy.

Karl