[OSM-dev] What about sharing basic rendering rules and using SLD?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jun 2 08:08:02 BST 2008

Stefan Keller wrote:

> > Heavens, no. Why would we want three maps that look the same?
>
> They wouldn't because there is a common understanding about
> "portrayal rules" (coming from ISO), which states that newer rules
> can override older ones. With this approach you can profit from
> other rules. Remind that I'm speaking only about base maps - not
> special maps.

There's no such thing as "base maps" or "special maps", just "maps".
Just because the standard OSM Mapnik layer doesn't have a single-
interest focus (as the cycle map does) doesn't mean it deserves to
become cluttered with whatever bonkers tag someone has voted on this
week.

 From a cartography point of view, I find the idea of a map
automatically inheriting extra gubbins in your suggested way pretty
abhorrent.

cheers
Richard