[OSM-dev] mod_tile memory leak?

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:48:38 BST 2008

Without knowing exactly what's going on, it seems that I think mod_tile has
a memory problem.  IANAP, but after rendering a tile and converting the
.meta, it seems all of the data stays in memory.  Rendering subsequent tiles
builds up the memory footprint quite quickly--at z5 and 4G of ram I can only
generate 1 meta file at a time without restarting renderd to clear the
memory.

For example:

Rendering daemon
Got incoming connection, fd 5, number 1
Render fd(5) z(5), x(4), y(12)
Got incoming connection, fd 9, number 2
Render fd(9) z(5), x(5), y(12)
Got incoming connection, fd 10, number 3
Got incoming connection, fd 11, number 4
Render fd(14) z(5), x(2), y(8)
Render fd(7) z(5), x(1), y(8)      <----  Up to here memory remains
reasonable, maybe  20% used by "programs", 80% "cache"
DONE TILE 5 0-7 8-15             <----  Here memory starts building up until
the .meta file is complete.  Here 80% "programs", 20% "cache"
Produced .meta: /var/www/html/direct/5/0/0/0/0/8.meta

At this point the .meta file is generated but RAM usage does not drop.
Killing renderd causes RAM usage to drop back to normal (10% "programs", 20%
"cache").

Perhaps obviously I'm using "System Monitor" in gnome-panel to measure
memory usage.  Let me know if something more scientific is desired.

--
Dylan

Type faster. Use Dvorak:
http://dvzine.org