[OSM-dev] PUT /api/0.6/{node|way|relation}/{id|create}

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Jun 9 17:02:56 BST 2008

In message <20080609154909.GR1808 at mails.so.argh.org>
          Andreas Barth <aba at not.so.argh.org> wrote:

> * Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu) [080609 14:06]:
> > In message <484C8660.4020106 at xs4all.nl>
> > > PUT /api/0.6
> > > {{ Payload }}
>
> > > - The API more simple (and easier to extend)
> >
> > That's debatable - the complexity is simply moved from the client
> > having to choose which URL to use to the server having to have
> > extra decoding logic.
>
> I fail to see how using /api/0.6 makes things more complex for now. It
> however *adds* the possibility to keep 0.6 life after 0.7 is productive.
> Or not. That can be decided in future (and old versions of the api will
> definitly break some day, and then be removed).
>
> But just using /api/0.6 instead of /api should be near zero extra costs
> for now - and if we keep that, or directly remove it on the day 0.7 gets
> activated can be decided when we need to decide it.

What on earth are you talking about? The question we were asked was
about using /api/0.6 instead of /api/0.6/{node,way,relation} and having
the server work out the object type by parsing the body.

You seem to be talking about why we should add an API version number
to the URL which is something we already do and have always done as
far as I know.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)