[OSM-dev] PUT /api/0.6/{node|way|relation}/{id|create}

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 9 17:10:51 BST 2008

Tom Hughes schreef:
> In message <484D5412.1000407 at xs4all.nl>
>           Stefan de Konink <skinkie at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>>> It already is. No current API request uses QUERY_STRING.
>> Then make the query string irrelevant.
>
> I repeat myself. The query string is already irrelevant.

Steve:
> it doesn't, toms point (which I agree with) is that it shifts
>> > complexity to the server (and I further think this is a bad thing)

So *remove it from the specs*! If you don't depend on it.

PUT /api/0.6 would be enough right?

>>> Why is that good?
>> Because for every request a new process is forked, thus handling more
>> data in one request will reduce the load of the webserver frontend.
>> Hence also reducing memory footprint for updates.
>
> The current architecture does not fork for each request, and I can't
> see that any plausible new architecture would.
>
> Support for multiple updates in one request is already a feature of
> the 0.6 API in the form of the diff or changeset upload.

Different function. Same problem, same implementation.

>>> That is already assured by the current API definition.
>> For 'updates' too? According to spec only an id is send after a create.
>
> Well you don't need it on an update as you already know the ID.

Not if you create a changeset with updates and creates. Should the
client maintain which object was a create and which one was an update?
Now that sounds like making it difficult for the clients, instead of
just returning all id's in the diff/changeset.

Stefan