[OSM-dev] Volunteers needed now. OSM for Myanmar disaster relief.

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Jun 10 14:25:12 BST 2008

I hope I'm close to getting mod_tile running but when attempting to
render this URL:
http://localhost/osm_tiles2/0/0/0.png

I get output like this from renderd.

Rendering daemon
Got incoming connection, fd 5, number 1
Render fd(5) z(0), x(0), y(0)
DONE TILE 0 0-0 0-0
Problem reading sub tiles for metatile x(0) y(0) z(0), got -1

Subsequent refreshes in the browser don't help, a delay of a few seconds
occurs then the 404 is returned.

I've tried commenting out the "processed_p" layer (over 300MB shape
file) from the osm.xml file thinking that perhaps it was something to do
with running on 512MB of RAM (it's a VMWare virtual machine).  It didn't
make any difference.

I tried this URL thinking that perhaps a smaller tile with less data
might work.
http://localhost/osm_tiles2/15/2/2.png
It returns the 404 far faster but still returns the same type of error
in renderd output.

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Jon Burgess wrote:
> It should not be too hard to get mod_tile to work. I developed it
> originally on Fedora 8. The packages that you are likely to need
> installed are as follows:
>
> - Mapnik (obviously)
> - Apache packages: httpd, httpd-devel
> - APR packages: apr, apr-devel, apr-util, apr-util-devel
> - DejaVu fonts from http://dejavu.sourceforge.net

The only package I didn't install above is the DejaVu fonts, I already
seemed to have them installed under /usr/lib/mapnik/fonts as part of the
mapnik package.
> You'll need to fix-up a couple of paths in the source code. The 64 bit
> library path below will need changing. The font path should be pointed
> to the location you unpack the DejaVu fonts:
>
> gen_tile.cpp:    datasource_cache::instance()->register_datasources("/usr/local/lib64/mapnik/input");
> gen_tile.cpp:    load_fonts("/usr/local/lib64/mapnik/fonts", 0);

I changed the

/usr/lib/mapnik

/usr/lib/mapnik

in both cases.