[OSM-dev] Volunteers needed now. OSM for Myanmar disaster relief.

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 10 20:11:46 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 08:01 -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:27:31AM +0100, Steve Hill wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > >TileCache + OSM + Mapnik is probably a very poor path to take. The world
> > >boundaries shapefiles are simply too large to reasonably expect to fit
> > >into memory on most machines in a TileCache-like setup.
> >
> > Why not put all the shapefiles in PostGIS?  Surely that would allow them
> > to be processed more efficiently?  (At least, I have everything in PostGIS
> > on OpenPisteMap and it seems to work well.  However, I'm not using
> > TileCache and my Mapnik is probably somewhat out of date).
>
> Setting up mod_tile is probably easier than keeping an up-to-date set of
> coastline shapes in PostGIS.

At one point the slippy map install process specified that the
shapefiles should be imported into Postgres and I got feedback that it
was difficult to get shp2pgsql working in some installations.

I did some benchmarking and found it made very little difference to the
overall performance so I changed the instructions back to use the
shapefiles directly.

	Jon