[OSM-dev] convert tool

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jun 18 20:36:38 BST 2008

Dominik Spies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to set up a local slippy map to have instant access to my last
> changes for me and some folks working on a specfifc county.
>
> After some stuggle with building osm2pgsql and mapnik, generate_tiles.py
>   prints the error message: "/bin/sh: convert: not found". I figured out
> that this tool is in the utils directory in svn, but "apt-get install
> libmagick9-dev" will install about 100MB binaries, with x11 and so on..
>
> Ist that neccesary? Can I download an binary version of that tool with
> smaller footprint?
> What exactly does this tool do?

Hi Dominik,
on debian it's in the package 'imagemagick', don't know the footprint of
that package though. But it has a lot of dependencies (with X11) etc etc.

man convert:
NAME
convert  -  convert  between  image formats as well as resize an image,
blur, crop, despeckle, dither, draw on, flip, join, re-sample, and much
more.
SYNOPSIS
convert input-file [options] output-file
OVERVIEW
The  convert  program is a member of the ImageMagick(1) suite of tools.
  Use it to convert between image formats as well  as  resize  an
image, blur, crop, despeckle, dither, draw on, flip, join, re-sample,
and much more.  For more information about the convert command, point
your  browser  to
file:///usr/share/doc/ImageMagick-6.3.7/www/convert.html             or
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php.

Regards,
Richard Duivenvoorde