[OSM-dev] Internet explorer 8 mess..

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Mar 6 22:53:56 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 07:15:59PM +0100, Milo van der Linden wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Just to inform everyone:
>
> Today I downloaded IE8 Beta. First I was allready a bit suprised that it
> had overwritten my IE6. I think that a beta should not do that. So be
> advised, it is not possible to run IE8 Beta and IE6 or 7 side by side.
> (I managed to keep IE7 outdoors for a long time and was one of the rare
> people within my organization to test if things where IE6 proof, but alas)
>
> It turned out that openlayers and Google Maps are far from correctly
> implemented in IE8. Only when you select "Emulate IE 7" things turn back
> to normal (I feel a discussion comming up whether IE is normal at all)

Interestingly enough, I had a coworker download IE8, and he checked
OpenStreetMap and had limited problems. There are clearly some pretty
major defects in their rendering engine -- the most visible one I saw
was the lack of clipping based on a div having "overflow: none" which
affected every map except for Virtual Earth (Microsoft's map offering),
but at least some portion of the OpenLayers code worked fine.

The same was true of the other layers that are presented within
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/spherical-mercator.html , which I
couldn't get to screw up at all.

I think that IE8 will clearly undergo some pretty significant
development before being released, to the extent that I'm not even
worrying about it yet: there were too many blatantly obvious rendering
issues to even be concerned with what particular aspects of the
rendering were broken.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt