[OSM-dev] Internet explorer 8 mess..

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Fri Mar 7 00:56:13 GMT 2008

Christopher Schmidt schrieb:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:54:31PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
>
>> Well, even if it's "only 75%", simply ignoring the *majority* of
>> internet users doesn't sound like a very good plan ...
>>
> Note that I'm not recommending that, simply clarifying that "99%" is an
> alarmist exaggeration.

Good!

 From reading the thread, I got the impression that the "Richard
Stallman religious fraction" raises a loud voice against IE. That's all
ok if you are feeling warm and cosy in the "OSS only" niche, but it's
probably not the best way to drive a project "for the public".

I don't even want to argue if the IE marketshare is 10% or 110% -
actually I don't care, as I'm using Firefox all the time ;-)

However, at least for newbies the first impression counts. If the first
impression of the majority of newbies (and the majority is still using
IE) is "it doesn't work" then this is the best way to "spread the word
against osm" - something like: "there's only crap on that osm page" or
"you need to install Firefox to even have a look at their map - what a
crap compared to google maps" :-(

So in fact this can become "a 99% problem", e.g. if reporters and other
"multiplicators" get - right from the start - a bad impression about OSM.

Regards, ULFL