[OSM-dev] Feasibility of an 'in the field' mobile editing app?

Andy Deakin andy.deakin at pcmend.net
Sun Mar 9 10:18:50 GMT 2008

Hi Guys,

The precision on the N95 internal gps is not good, but with an external
bluetooth gps device it is somewhat better.
I am one of the developers of motortrace.com, which is a vehicle
tracking solution, and one of the things we currently offer is phone
tracking software. This is a free j2me midlet which takes the position
of the phone every x seconds and/or every x meters (configurable), and
stores it on the phone. It can be uploaded to our website
(http://www.motortrace.com) for further processing, or simply exported
as a gpx file.

I was hoping to support OSM much more in the upcoming months, and would
like to add waypoint etc functionality to the midlet.

Regarding covering multiple paths: our main business is vehicle
trackers, and these cover the same path many times on a regular basis
all over a number of countries. I would be interested in importing this
data to OSM in areas where data is poor. The average speed of the
vehicles might give a heads-up for the type of road etc.

Cheers,
Andy