[OSM-dev] Feasibility of an 'in the field' mobile editing app?

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 19:12:14 GMT 2008

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>> Sounds nice, but there's one problem: creating OSM ways automatically
>>
> >from GPS data (without user editing) is not a good idea, for several
>
>> reasons:
>> - GPS (in)precission: it is a good practice to cover certain path
>> several times before actually creating a way
>>

> Do many of us actually do that though? I have to admit I don't, as it
> would simply take more time than I have available. In the countryside in
> particular (which is what I was thinking of), one needn't be that bothered
> about pixel-precision accuracy anyway. And in the town where I live, I
> find the streets I've created generally match up well with the Yahoo!
> imagery.

Well we should strive towards those ideals as much as we can. From my
experience with my Garmin unit, sometimes the GPS fix is bad (>20 m),
and this kind of inaccuracy then makes difficult the stuff you were
suggesting (like server-side checking for duplicate ways). What I miss
in my unit is recording of precision in GPX files.
>> - Depending on your GPS tracking settings, you could end up with a lot
>> of unnecessary OSM nodes (while standing still, for example). This could
>> be fixed by some data cleaning SW, I suppose, but it should be taken
>> into account.
>>

> The idea was to use some sort of path simplification algorithm to avoid
> this happening.

Agreed, but this should be best implemented on the client side, to avoid
excessive uploading of unneeded data.

--
http://igorbrejc.net