[OSM-dev] Proposal: Make relations ordered

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 17 10:02:54 GMT 2008

Hi,

>> The API user is not concerned with the sequence numbering, he just
>> uploads the sequence he wants. The numbering takes place internally.
>>
> So inserting a way in the middle and/or reordering ways will have
> to be implemented in all the editors then.

Yes, exactly like inserting a node in the middle of a way is
implemented by every editor.

> OK, fair enough. I hope JOSM and Potlatch get around to
> implementing it sooner rather than later then. It's rather annoying
> to carefully define a route relation, knowing that it can be blown
> apart by people who remerge the parts or split them in other ways.
> I tested this and it gives undesired results at the moment.

I am totally with you in that our current editors have only the most
basic form of relation support and that this needs to be fixed. But
it really needs to be fixed in the editor(s), the API is the wrong
place for it.

Bye
Frederik