[OSM-dev] Proposal: Make relations ordered

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 12:00:52 GMT 2008

>  PS Is it bad XML-foo to assume the child nodes are ordered? I wouldn't
>  expect an implicit ordering myself, but I'm no XML expert.

The XML spec says that the order of element content is significant, so
no problems there.
The order of attributes in an element is not significant however.

You can of course treat content as unordered, but that's down to your
schema. In the .osm file we currently have way <nd> elements treated
as ordered and relation <member> elements treated as unordered.